Tuesday, November 1, 2011

For the month of November

$400 Grocery Challenge


Inspired by Beauty that Moves via Tonia, I will be posting my own grocery challenge here for the month of November.  I will post weekly updates, ideas and inspiration that I trust will come.  My goals are different:

1)  To use up our pantry and freezer excess in a creative way.
2)  To be disciplined about documenting food expenditures (I can't even put a number to spending half of what we usually spend, as I can only guess how much that is.  I want to know what we are spending.)
3)  To learn how to live on less for the long haul.  This month we will be able to save a large amount with the things we have on our shelves, but I want to significantly decrease our monthly budget for as long as it takes to lessen some of our financial stress.  I will put the money I save on groceries directly into debt reduction for our family.
4)  To eat healthfully, including plenty of produce.

What this means for us:
1)  I usually include everything I buy at the grocery store in our grocery budget.  This month I will not include alcohol, laundry/cleaning supplies, or our Thanksgiving meal.  I will keep track of every penny spent.
2)  I will be cooking.  A lot.  Our oven has been broken for a while; I am excited that it should be fixed this week and we can bake again.  I am ready for homemade bread.  Our budget is ready for homemade bread, bagels, and more.  I will include any recipes that seem worthy of note.
3)  I will be praying.  Tightening our budget is important for us, and I need God's grace.  I do love to cook, but penny pinching in the kitchen gets a little soul wearying for me.  I am hoping that adding the word "challenge" to the equation will release all those competitive impulses our family is known for.  

Welcome, November.  This is going to be a good month.



No comments: