Monday, November 14, 2011

November update: sick but still sailing






$400 Grocery Challenge


Well, illness has both thwarted and supported our efforts to save money on food in November. While adding to our OTC medicine budget (which is non-existent), this $%#@ flu has resulted in sipped tea in lieu of meals and eventually a meal provided for us (thank you, dear Lori). Chicken and potatoes and salad became one as-is dinner, two breakfast plates of potatoes, the greens for a tostada lunch and one pot of chicken soup that lasted for two dinners and two lunches. It was almost worth the horrific body aches and fatigue. Almost.

So far this month I have spent $123.09 on groceries. My husband picked up milk and bread when I was knocked out, so our totals probably come to $150.00. And we are almost half way through the month!

Since a large part of my goal this month is to use up what we have, I took a few hours on Friday and wrote detailed lists of everything we have in our frig, our freezers, and in our pantry. With careful planning, we are well stocked for several weeks, needing only to add dairy and produce. One of the most welcome discoveries was that I have everything I need for Thanksgiving except some produce and a turkey. I even have a great wine stored away for the occasion.

It is a great relief to finally feel better and to see that we are in great shape for our budget goals instead of being firmly entrenched in a big ol' fail. Tonight's menu: homemade pizza. Yumola.

No comments: