Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Cornbread stuffing: the jewel in the Thanksgiving crown




Hallelujah! My friend Aimee sent me the recipe for my favorite Thanksgiving food. I made three copies of the recipe, plus I am posting it here, so I will never have to imagine going without cornbread/sausage/apple stuffing...ever again.

Martha Stewart's Cornbread Stuffing with a few changes

1/2 cup dark raisins
1/2 cup brandy
2 cups chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 pound bulk pork sausage
1/2 cup chopped shallots
1 1/2 cup chopped tart apples
1 cup chopped celery
Corn bread, cut into cubes and left overnight
1 can water chestnuts, sliced and diced
1/2 cup snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 T dried sage leaves
2 t dried marjoram leaves
1 t dried thyme leaves
1/4 t ground cloves
1/8 t cayenne pepper
2 t coarse kosher salt
1 t freshly ground black pepper
2 eggs beaten


Soak the raisins in the brandy overnight. In a large skillet, saute the onions and garlic in the butter over medium heat until soft, about five about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and shallots, cook until sausage is brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in the apples and celery; cook until soft,about 10 minutes. Drain. Combine corn bread cubes, raisin mixture, sausage mixture,and remaining ingredients except eggs. Toss; stir in eggs.

I do not stuff the turkey; I cook this on a baking sheet until it is slightly browned and a bit crunchy on top. Pack it tightly on the baking sheet...this allows for a crunchy layer on the top and a moist layer underneath. I will at least double this so we have plenty of leftovers. The mingling of the flavors makes leftovers extra yummy.

No comments: