Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The list - first update



I am working my way through my recent list of recipes to try (see the list here).

I have tried two so far:

Asian pear, persimmon, almond salad - FANTASTIC. Basic instructions are to add very thin slices of persimmon and Asian pear to greens, sprinkle with toasted almond slices, and dress with a lime and oil dressing that had a little salt and a little cayenne and a big spoonful of honey. Terrific flavors, and the colors of the persimmon against the green is very festive.

Coffee-braised spoon lamb - Not a hit. Not bad, not disliked, but we all agreed that we wanted to taste the lamb more than we could. And maybe my coffee was too strong, because it tasted a little heavy on the coffee to me. And coffee is not a taste I usually think there is too much of. This is the FIRST recipe I have tried in this cookbook that I do not want to make again.


Both of these recipes are from the Sunset Best Recipes 2010 magazine pictured above. It is not available from Amazon, but I link it so that you can know what it looks like; if you ever see it, I recommend it heartily.

Next up:
Bean and chicken taquitos (same cookbook)
Flank steak and red onion (unknown source)
Chicken in a pot: the garlic and lemon version (from Around My French Table)
Long and slow apples (from Around My French Table, too.)

No comments: